Thursday, April 24, 2008

For Lack of Something Better to Post Right Now ...

I thought these names were kind of interesting:

Name the career leader in each of the following statistics among active baseball players, defining active as being signed with a major league organization (i.e., the likes of Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Mike Piazza don't count). I'll leave a little space before providing the answers:

  1. Runs
  2. Hits
  3. Doubles
  4. Triples
  5. Homeruns
  6. Runs Batted In
  7. Total Bases
  8. Walks
  9. Strikeouts
  10. Stolen Bases
  11. Batting Average
















  1. Ken Griffey, Jr.
  2. Omar Vizquel
  3. Luis Gonzalez
  4. Johnny Damon (Steve Finley and/or Kenny Lofton would be ahead, if with a team)
  5. Ken Griffey, Jr.
  6. Ken Griffey, Jr.
  7. Ken Griffey, Jr.
  8. Frank Thomas (though, part of this week the answer would have been Jim Thome, as Frank was between contracts after being released by Toronto and before being signed by Oakland)
  9. Jim Thome
  10. Juan Pierre (again, Lofton would get it, if with a team)
  11. Albert Pujols today; although, he and Ichiro Suzuki are both at .332 for their careers and Todd Helton is at .331

Some interesting names there. The Griffey answers seem like no surprise. Nor does Frank Thomas for walks. I only know Luis Gonzalez as the doubles answer because I'm a fan of him. After seeing it, Omar Vizquel made sense for hits, but I thought that seemed like the most surprising. For anyone who might sit on the fence about whether Omar belongs in the Hall of Fame, perhaps this could mean something significant.

Hopefully, I'll have something more substantive after the end-of-the-semester rush dies down. Still, this seemed interesting enough to tide the blog over.

3 comments:

Michael Butterworth said...

Ok, I thought Lofton was on a roster somewhere, so that screwed me up. But here were my guesses:

R: Lofton
H: Jeter
2B: Jeter
3B: Lofton
HR: Griffey
RBI: Griffey
TB: Frank Thomas
BB: Frank Thomas
K: Jim Thome
SB: Lofton
BA: Ichiro

So, not too bad. I spent at least 30 minutes on this. Thanks.

Jefferson Wolfe said...

Interesting that Omar Vizquel is the career leader in hits. I have long believed that he should be in the Hall of Fame. I suppose it's a point of discussion, and there are many people who would disagree, but I really think he belongs on the basis of his absolutely superior defense.

Raymond I. Schuck said...

Thanks for the posts, guys ...

michael -- Glad to know I've helped someone else waste a bunch of time. ;)

jefferson -- I completely agree on Vizquel. It seems like his defensive skills get largely overlooked, in a way that Ozzie Smith's, for instance, were not. Yet, Vizquel tops Ozzie in every major offensive statistic except walks and stolen bases. I keep getting the feeling that he won't be seen as quite the shoe-in for the Hall of Fame that Ozzie was. I suppose this goes back to the issues I brought up in my Hall of Fame vs. Hall of Achievement post. And I suppose that's what backflips and a timely postseason home run will do for a ballplayer.