Friday, February 22, 2008

YouTubing the Blue Nile

I love the band The Blue Nile. Paul Buchanan's voice is both hopeful and forlorn at the same time ... a sort of constant state of bittersweet. The music behind Buchanan conveys a near-perfect kind of mellow and comfort (though Peace at Last seems to underachieve in this regard). Some folks have done some wonderful things with the music of The Blue Nile on YouTube. Here are some highlights:

1. This video illustrates the similarity of emotion that is expressed in The Blue Nile's song "Saturday Night" and the art of Edward Hopper, who is best known for his painting Nighthawks.

2. This video, by the same person as No. 1, connects The Blue Nile's "The Downtown Lights" to the film Blade Runner.

3. This video is my favorite use of The Blue Nile. I watched some Doctor Who as a kid, though I wouldn't classify myself as a fan. When the new Doctor Who series, with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, came out a couple years ago, I became much more of a fan. This video sets clips of Eccleston's season as the Doctor to The Blue Nile's 2004 recording "High."

4. And, finally, this one is a recording of a performance rather than an independent creation, but I really love this rendition of "Here Comes the Rain Again" by Annie Lennox and Paul Buchanan.

No comments: