Sunday, February 17, 2008

Fragments of Theodore Sturgeon

I saw the film The Jane Austen Book Club the other day. One of the characters in the film is a science fiction fan and, when discussing significant sci-fi authors, he mentions Theodore Sturgeon. I'm not sure if this is also the case in the novel upon which the film is based (though I intend to check that out). I also noticed, while watching several seasons of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine over the past couple of months, that Sturgeon is mentioned as one of the great sci-fi writers of all-time during a scene in the episode titled "Far Beyond the Stars," which was the 13th episode during Season 6 of the show. (Of course, it makes some sense that a Star Trek franchise might make such a reference to Sturgeon, given that he co-wrote two episodes of the oroiginal series: "Amok Time" and "Shore Leave.") I'm interested in finding other references to Sturgeon in films, television shows, novels, or other texts. I consider Sturgeon to be the best writer I've read and, given that, I'd like to see how he is referenced in passing in other works. Does anyone know of other examples of these kinds of references to Sturgeon?

As a side note, I was happy to see that when the sci-fi character in the Jane Austen Book Club gives one of the other club members two books by Ursula K. Le Guin, the two are The Left Hand of Darkness and The Lathe of Heaven. "Left" is probably Le Guin's most celebrated book, but I probably love "Lathe" the most among the many Le Guin things that I have read. Le Guin would be up there on my list of great writers as well.

2 comments:

Jefferson Wolfe said...

Did you know that the fictional science fiction writer "Kilgore Trout" in Kurt Vonnegut's writings is an homage to Sturgeon?

Raymond I. Schuck said...

That sounds a little familiar--at least that "Kilgore Trout" refers to Sturgeon--but I didn't realize that. Obviously, Vonnegut was playing off the fish name for a last name. I'll check that out. Thanks. :)