Saturday, October 10, 2026

The Real Pro-Life Position

I keep trying to get this blog going again and then ended up feeling to busy to write things up, but let's try one more time. It starts with this video:


I have been thinking for some time of writing something here about how abortion rights is the pro-life position. For decades, I was of a split mind when it came to the issue of abortion. On the one hand, questions about when society defines the beginning of life matter. On the other hand, the burdens that an anti-abortion view unduly place on women matter, too. In the end, it was stories I read and heard from women who have made painful choices to have an abortion that convinced me of where to stand, and that is, as I already said, that abortion rights is the pro-life position. Meanwhile, a corollary to that position is that if one calls oneself "pro-life" but is someone who is not in favor of significantly improved access to health care, who refuses to see the dangers to health and life of economies that rely too heavily on free markets, who promotes war and offense military engagement, who does not find value in protecting the environment, who resisted efforts to contain Covid-19 such as mask mandates and social distancing, and quite a few other things that could be assoociated with folks who call themselves "pro-life," then one's position is not pro-life, but more simply anti-abortion.

That, then, takes me to the video above. In it, Michigan candidate for the U.S. Senate Abdul Al-Sayed recently laid a significant part of that argument, and it's well worth the watch.

No comments: