Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Humanity of Donald Trump

I always try to remember that everyone was once a baby, new to the world, deserving of all of the love we can give. This goes for everyone, even Donald Trump. He’s a person, and I don’t want to forget his humanity, no matter what his presidential campaign has done or what his administration does.

I am concerned about what will happen in President Trump’s administration. The racism, sexism, ableism, Islamophobia, etc. of Trump’s campaign should be causes for concern. The history of Vice President-elect Mike Pence’s treatment of LGBTQ folks is very troubling. Trump has the public persona of a bully, and that is very worrying. Yet, one moment gives me hope. I watched the first season of The Apprentice, and I caught parts of the show over the next few seasons. At the end of Season 4, there seemed to be a good case for both of the finalists. Trump chose Randal Pinkett, but then he said he could be convinced to also hire the runner-up, Rebecca Jarvis. He gave Randal the choice, but Randal said there should only be one hiring that day. Now, maybe I’m giving too much credit it here, and of course this is ripe for critique of the gender and race implications when Trump asked a black man to share the win with a white woman. Still, this seems like a moment of humanity out of Trump. He was willing to say there doesn’t have to be just one winner. He was willing to put aside the way things were done to allow for a little more inclusion. Again, maybe I’m being too generous, and maybe I’m naive, but this is the moment I keep coming back to as a source of hope that maybe Trump’s administration will be okay. I’m still worried. There’s still much work to be done. But losing hope and losing humanity would be disastrous, and perhaps this moment in Trump’s life can remind us of both.

No comments: