Monday, September 7, 2015

Reflections on this Labor Day

On this Labor Day, I'm taking some time to think of all the folks whose labor contributes through a myriad of ways to my country and my world. Of particular note this year, I want to acknowledge folks who work at fast food restaurants. Amid national discussions regarding significantly raising minimum wage levels, I've seen considerable disparagement of folks who work at fast food restaurants, yet I go to places such as Burger King, McDonalds, and Subway frequently, and I see folks working quite hard whose labor deserves respect, not disparagement. The next time we celebrate the contributions of the firefighter who saves someone's life, the soldier who defends the country, the teacher who puts in long hours hoping to educate our young people, the utilities worker who works overtime away from home restoring power, and so on, let's not forget that the fast food workers who provide that teacher's coffee, that firefighter's breakfast, that utilities worker's lunch, and so on are providing valuable contributions as well. This is one reason why I support -- at the very least -- a living wage for folks who work at fast food restaurants and, for that matter, everyone.

No comments: