Monday, December 26, 2011

A Holiday Thank You

As one of the many, many people who spent part of Christmas day on the road travelling to a holiday gathering, I'd like very seriously and gratefully to take this time to thank the many convenience store, gas station, and food service employees for everything that they do. Their sacrifice in having to spend significant portions of their holiday away from friends and family, often for inadequate compensation and in potentially hostile working conditions, helps make possible the freedoms that the rest of us enjoy.

1 comment:

Raymond I. Schuck said...

A special personal thanks to:

the guy at Speedway in Bowling Green, Ohio, who, after I initially refused a bag, very astutely realized that the many candy bars and drinks my wife and I were buying meant that we were taking a road trip and recommended that the bag would be useful for trash

the man at IGA Express in Monroe, Ohio, who, though only having been on the job for a month, gladly asked a woman who had worked there a much longer time if they happened to carry kosher salt and then who rang up my olive oil and Doritos in a very friendly fashion

the woman at Speedway in Sidney, Ohio, who offered me a very generous and sincere Christmas greeting as she rang me up when I stopped for a snack for the drive home