Sunday, December 20, 2009

I'm In Gregg Doyel's Hate Mail Again

So, while I critiqued Gregg Doyel in my last post, I have generally come to enjoy some aspects of his work. Sometimes he's willing to say things that otherwise don't get said. I assume this is, at least in part, to get conversation going. It's typically easier to get that going by saying something extreme or something unorthodox. Unfortunately, in the case of his column on the WNBA the other day, it was something that, while creating conversation, can actually be too orthodox as to be dismissive. Other times, though, it can be much more compelling.

As part of this, I've learned to appreciate his weekly Hate Mail responses to readers for what they often are--friendly banter. I suppose I've come to this appreciation in part simply because Gregg has included me and responded to my comments several times in Hate Mail over the last two years. It started off rather rocky, but for my part I have come to appreciate it. And I'm sure that's at least in part because it feeds my ego to get the public attention.

With that in mind, I was in Hate Mail again this past week, coincidentally enough with a comment that involves gender. One might argue that my comment to Gregg undermines my critique of him, but I'd say it doesn't. The argument that male/female and masculinity/femininity are constructions doesn't mean people can't struggle with identifying with them. Indeed, because these constructs are so deeply embedded in our society, many people do struggle with identifying with them, at least in part because society asks us so heavily to do so. Indeed, the need to identify with what society sees as feminine has been a significant obstacle for many female athletes throughout the history of American sports. And the need to identify with what society sees as masculine has led many men to pursue violent and aggressive interests out of a sense of feeling the need to show or prove their masculinity. Some readings of Hemingway suggest that various aspects of his life--including the heavy interests in bullfighting and baseball--reflected that same kind of struggle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There would seem nothing to prevent a woman playing professional baseball as both a pitcher (with slower pitches like the knuckle ball), situational defense (first base or catcher), and pinch hitting, in particular bunting, moving a runner over.

Kickers, punters, and in some instances quarterbacks and holders can certainly be women.

A woman can be a shooting guard in basketball in many situations.

Rules can be modified to include woman players just as they are modified to include kickers and quarterbacks in football.
Really there is no upward limit to what a woman can accomplish in athletics.

JCarp