Thursday, August 21, 2008

In Memory of Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones

Yesterday, Representative Stephanie Tubbs Jones of Ohio passed away at the age of 58, after suffering a brain aneurysm while driving in Cleveland Heights the previous evening. I am saddened by the loss of a legislator for whom I had immense respect. Had she aspired for further or higher political office, such as the Senate or even the presidency, I would have lined up behind her. I felt that I would be remiss if I did not devote at least a short post in this blog to express my sadness over her sudden and untimely passing and my deep gratitude for her service to my country.

In doing so, I am also reminded of the fragility of life that has been so prominent in the lives of my wife and me this summer. The details of Stephanie Tubbs’ death – suffering a brain aneurysm while driving, passing away the next day, only in her fifties at the time of her death – mirror those of my mother in-law, who passed away in May. On a personal level, the sadness that I feel is magnified by the timing of Tubbs Jones’ death. She died on what would have been my mother-in-law’s 53rd birthday.

May you be remembered and cherished, Representative Tubbs Jones, for your profound commitment to democracy. I know I’ll remember you that way.

No comments: