Saturday, May 10, 2008

If only Rush was right ...

I remember around 15 years ago, when Rush Limbaugh was building his national recognition, he had a slogan on billboards, etc., that said "Rush is right." It was an obvious play on words. On the one hand, "right" was meant to mean conservative, or on the political right. On the other hand, "right" was meant to mean correct. Well, for once, I wish he was correct ...

The other day, Limbaugh suggested that Obama appeals to "wealthy academics," which was a reference to the many folks in higher education who have supported Obama in this year's Democratic primaries. It was also within the context of comments about how Obama might fair against John McCain in the general election for president in November. The statement was one among a number of characterizations of who would and would not vote for Obama in November.

I was not among the many who voted for Obama in the primary. I voted for Hillary Clinton, who I like for the job a little bit more at this point. It looks, though, like Obama will win the Democratic nomination and I'm very likely to vote for him for president in November if that is the case. So, I assume that I would then fall under the province of Limbaugh's comments. Additionally, since I am an academic, I presume that I am to be included within his characterization of the academics who do or would support Obama. Well ... if that's the case, I really wish his characterization of these academics as wealthy was correct. I could certainly use the money and I'd hope that I'd use such wealth more appropriately than the wealthy man who made these comments.

1 comment:

Jefferson Wolfe said...

You know, I never got the "Rush is Right" pun until now. I always just thought it just meant he was correct. Being correct is a big feature of his show. Just listen, and he'll tell you how correct he is.