Monday, March 3, 2008

Surely one of life's big mysteries ...

Guitarist/singer Jeff Healey has passed away at way too young an age. I don't have a lot to say other than that I was saddened to hear about it and wanted to post something about it. I've enjoyed much of his work that I've heard. "Angel Eyes" has gained status as a late 80s classic and it seems to deserve it. As a guy who really wished he could sing better than he can and has tried over the years to be better at it by going lower, this was one of those songs that I felt I could at least not ruin. And lyrics like "What you're doing with a guy like me is surely one of life's little mysteries" made Healey's voice all the more poignant. ... I guess I had more to say than I originally thought. I'll miss you, Jeff.

2 comments:

Michael Butterworth said...

Memories of "Angel Eyes" while pulling overnight shifts at K-100 FM in Macomb, IL. It was a rare good track in the midst of Debbie Gibson and Taylor Dayne.

Raymond I. Schuck said...

I can totally relate ... though have I mentioned my high school Debbie Gibson crush? In the old Tiffany-Debbie Gibson debate, I always thought Debbie Gibson's trump card was having written and produced much of her own music ... and being from Long Island didn't hurt either. I suppose, though, that my contuining defense of this ranks somewhere right behind my continued devotion to Richard Marx.